"Do not spoil what you have
by desiring what you have not,
but remember that what you now have
was once among the things you only hoped for."
Dang, those ancient Greeks got it — almost 2,500 years ago!!
So thanks, Epicurus, for the reminder. Here are my top twelve gratitudes for today:
1. I, a natural catastrophizer, am not panicking about either the struggling economy or the swine flu.
2. My sweet, smart, kind & gifted husband (for he is surely something I once hoped for, earnestly and lengthily).
3. My talented, turbulent 'tween & my sensitive, silly six-year-old (oh, how I hoped for such beautiful children!).
4. All of our good health.
5. A comfortable work flow.
6. I don't need bifocals just yet.
7. I think I might have finally found a new dentist.
8. Our beautiful home, which I'm slowly but surely shaping up (again, a dream realized).
9. Happy mornings (few & far-between, but a wish come true, nevertheless).
10. Flying kites.
11. Sonic happy hour.
12. Dr. Maya Angelou, 81 (had the privilege of seeing her perform live last week — amazing, & surprisingly hilarious!).
So, what are you thankful for this Thursday afternoon??