Saturday, August 30, 2008

DeGeneres + De Rossi = De-lovely.


I just love Ellen DeGeneres. She's hilarious, and seems to me to be genuine and open and warm and passionate, and maybe just a little too trusting.

So I just want to shout out a "HOLLA!!" to celebrate the two-week anniversary of her legal lesbian marriage to Portia de Rossi (it'd be amusing for them to take one another's surnames in hyphenate: Ellen DeGeneres-de Rossi and Portia de Rossi-DeGeneres ... I can hear Cole Porter humming along ... ).

On Saturday, August 16th at 7:15p, Ellen and Portia were wed, with friend and author Wayne Dyer officiating, at the Los Angeles home they share. Only 19 people participated in the intimate gathering, including both brides' moms, who were, by all accounts, thrilled. Quoth Betty DeGeneres, "I'm a mother-in-law. My daughter and the love of her life are legally married. They have the legal civil rights that other loving couples have - and what's wrong with that??"

Not a thing, Betty. Not a single thing.

According to People's exclusive coverage of the event, the couple danced to their favorite love song, Stevie Wonder's "Ribbon in the Sky." You can definitely see the significance within the first- and last-verse lyrics:

Oh so long for this night I prayed
That a star would guide you my way
To share with me this special day
Where a ribbon's in the sky for our love

We can't lose with God on our side
We'll find strength in each tear we cry
From now on it will be you and I
And our ribbon in the sky
Ribbon in the sky
A ribbon in the sky for our love

Happy Congratulations and Best Wishes, Ellen & Portia.

No comments: