Sunday, July 20, 2008

the year half-full.

I'm slowing down my blogging a little this week for some self-reflection (is that redundant?) around three July events: 1) the midway mark of the year, which happened July 1st; 2) the midway mark of the summer, which happened last Wednesday, July 16th; and 3) what I hope is not quite the midway mark of my life, but my birthday nonetheless, yesterday, July 19th.

Something I try to do every summer (with limited success) is go on a retreat all on my own. I go out to a little guesthouse in Fredericksburg and just be with me, myself and I. I spend only about three days total, so I think long and hard about how I want to spend it. This year, I intend to sleep, read, exercise a little, shop a little, eat healthily (not too much time at the brewpub!), hang at the pool, scrapbook, and work at organizing my itunes and photo files. I also want to do some journaling - inspired by life coach Cheryl Richardson - about my 2008 to date.

Here are some of the questions I'll be pondering, with Cheryl's directive in mind to focus on what's worked rather than on what still needs to change - how my cup is filling up rather than how much it might still lack.

How have you taken better care of your body, your mind, your heart or your spirit?
What positive changes have you made to your home or office?
Are you fulfilling your creative needs? How?
What changes have you made to better honor your integrity?
Are you letting things be easy?

And here's Cheryl's related 'action challenge:'

Make a list of five (or more) positive changes you've made this year. Open up a new computer file right now labeled "My Success List" and put the five items on the list. It's extremely important to put this list in writing, sending a message to yourself that you're worth the effort. And as your self-worth rises, the world responds accordingly; you become a magnet, attracting better life experiences.

Share your achievements with a friend or family member. Then, buy yourself a gift, spend an afternoon at the beach, go to the movies, share a good meal with a friend. Don't just move on to the next to-do item or goal. Pause and reward yourself for all your hard work!


Upon my return, I'll post my answers to all ten questions, as well as my five positive changes . . . meanwhile, think it over - what are your five accomplishments for the first half of the year?

No comments: