Monday, July 14, 2008

for you, wonderful women of my life.

I've got five days of forty left.

And as I approach my next birthday - officially and firmly planting both feet into my forties (!) - I can't help but think of last year at this time, when a group of my wonderful women friends came to Austin for a girls' weekend, wrapping me up in the best-ever blanket of celebration, appreciation and love.

It was an amazing event for me. But even more amazing for me is their very presence in my life, day in, day out.
You girls - and you know who you are - you bless me. And I love you for it, and for you.

So here's a little something that made the e-rounds a while ago (I've eliminated the mismatched clipart and cloying cherubs for your protection), that brings you all to mind - and heart.

Life happens. Time passes. Distance separates.
Jobs come and go. Colleagues forget favors. Careers end.
Children grow up. Parents die.
Love waxes and wanes. Hearts break.

But sisters are there, no matter how how many years or miles come between you.
A girlfriend is never farther away than needing her.

When you must walk that lonesome valley, and you must walk it alone,
the women in your life will line the valley's rim,
cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, helping push you along,
and waiting for you with open arms at the other side.
Sometimes, they will break the rules and walk beside you, or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, sisters,
daughters, mothers, granddaughters, grandmothers,
sisters-in-law, daughters-in-law, mothers-in-law,
aunts, nieces, cousins
and all "family," no matter how extended or extensive,
bless our lives.

When we wandered into this adventure called "womanhood,"
there was no way we could have known the amazing joys or incredible sorrows ahead,
nor did we know how much we would need each other.
Every day, we need each other still.

I'm happy to need and be needed by you. Life is good. :)

2 comments:

Diana said...

That was a wonderful weekend with you and all your gal-pals! And I need you -- EMAIL me!!!! I misplaced my scrap with email addresses and I haven't heard back from my email to you so I'm not sure if it went into the black hole -- and you can comment on my blog cuz I'm posting. Just eager for tidbits from home and some familiar voices. All's well here and I haven't needed the Get out of Hell Free card yet!

Mrs. Geiger said...

My women friends are the biggest blessing in my life, too! Happy early birthday!

Love, SG