Thursday, July 10, 2008

two sides of the same dang coin.

I just completed reading the brilliant, hilarious, progressively Presbyterian Anne Lamott's third book of thoughts on faith, Grace (Eventually), and dog-earred a pair of passages I want to preserve by posting them.

The first is an excerpt from an essay titled "Chirren," about her relationship with her newborn son:

I loved him intimately, sight unseen. Yet when he lay on my chest for the first time, part of me felt as if someone had given me a Martian baby to raise, or a Martian puppy. And I had no owner's manual, no energy, no clue as to what I was supposed to do.

The other part of me felt as though I were holding my own soul.


The second is an excerpt from an essay titled "The Born," about how one can believe in God and the right to choose without being a hypocrite:

Most women like me would much rather use our time and energy fighting to make the world safe and just for the children we do have and do love, not to mention the children of New Orleans and Darfur.

... [A]s a Christian and a feminist, the most important message I can carry and fight for is the sacredness of each human life, and reproductive rights for all women are a crucial part of that. It is a moral necessity that we not be forced to bring children into the world for whom we cannot be responsible and adoring and present. We must not inflict life on children who will be resented; we must not inflict unwanted children on society.

No comments: