Thursday, May 1, 2008

how to be happy, lesson #3.

Turn off the TV.

Surveys show watching too much TV can triple our hunger for more possessions and reduce our personal contentment by about 5% for every hour a day we watch. (Wu, 1998)

Too often, we watch TV because it's what we usually do, rather than because there is something we really want to see. Ask yourself when you're watching TV, "Is this something I really want to see? or am I just watching from force of habit?" Don't turn on the TV just because it's there and that's what you typically do. Turn it on only when there's something you really want to see, and when the program's over, turn it off. Your newly liberated hours can be spent doing something with your family or friends, or (gasp!) finding a rare quiet moment just for you. Choose active fun over passive distraction.

by David Niven, Ph.D.


Which reminds me of a posting I read the other day from Austin organizing czarina Lorie Marrero's Clutter Diet Blog. She writes about a favorite book, Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel and Charles Mann, which features photographs of average families from 30 different countries around the world with all of their possessions. Every family was also asked, What is your most valued possession? and their answers are sometimes surprising ...

So, what's your most valued possession? I'm still mulling over mine ... but please share yours!

5 comments:

Mrs. Geiger said...

My journals, wedding rings, a necklace from my mom, daughter's baptism dress (family heirloom), and some of her photos from when she was born.

That book you mention sounds very interesting! We do have too much stuff. Think about the old houses in town and how small their closets are - and then think about how those small closets don't satisfy our storage needs! Mind-boggling that they worked for people 50-100 years ago.
--Suz

Pam Rush said...

Hands down it is my cell phone - because through it, I am able to stay connected with my daughters and all of my family - no matter where they are - in the matter of seconds - whether it be a call to hear their voice, a text to just let them know I'm thinking of them or just to know that they are ok or a pic to let them feel like they are right there in whatever we're doing! I also love to read my collection of sentimental "I love you" or "Love Most" texts that we send back and forth. My phone is my "fix" for my heartstrings :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, "Czarina"?? That is hilarious! I think I will print that on my next business cards. LOL

Thank you for the mention!

- Lorie

Anonymous said...

Lorie -- You're quite welcome. And I think Organizing Czarina is a perfectly accurate thing for you to put on your business cards (though I like your version of CEO, too)!! :D

Single Mom Hanging On said...

Immediate answer to "most valued possession"? Without a doubt, my child, even though I am of the belief that children are really on loan to us, not "possessions" at all, but I do "have" her. Living on the coast, people ask me about fear of hurricanes quite regularly. I would gladly give up every single thing - piece of jewelry, book, CD, picture, object, furniture, plate, beautiful piece of clothing, and the house itself - for the gift of having this child in my life, even when she is making me lose my mind!

Thank you so much, darling K, for this reminder and renewed perspective. A week out from my 5th Mother's Day, I needed that.