Saturday, May 31, 2008

attitude of gratitude.

Just heard Jimmy Buffett's song, "Attitude of Gratitude" yesterday on XM Kids while driving around with my two. I'm going to begin building an ipod playlist of upbeat, high-quality, message-oriented songs like this one just for them. Several Laurie Berkner songs immediately come to mind ... "I'm Not Perfect," "I'm Me & You're You," "I'm a Mess," "Mahalo," "Moon Moon Moon," "Smile." Some Sara Hickman and Jack Johnson, naturally. Bob Marley's classic "Three Little Birds." A good version of "You are my Sunshine." And an Amy Grant/John Hiatt song I heard the other day, "Thank Someone." Got suggestions? I'm open . . .

. . . and to illustrate my 'tude of 'tude, here are my top ten things I'm thankful for today:

1. a great, fun, easy day with my kids.
2. my dear friends.
3. summertime.
4. clarity following months of hemming/hawing.
5. the Texas Hill Country.
6. mother/daughter weekends at Kickapoo Kamp.
7. Build-A-Bear Workshop.
8. the guys at our neighborhood Jack in the Box, who occasionally and for no apparent reason other than pure kindness, give me my diet coke for free.
9. feeling courage, freedom, happiness.
10. a primo parking spot at the mall. :)

So, what are you grateful for today? & don't forget song suggestions!

3 comments:

Diana said...

A primo parking spot at at the mall and all that gratitude ... musta been a good night at the mall! Hope you had a great weekend. We're sure gonna have one next weekend!

Susan K. Morrow said...

I'm thinking "Bare Necessities" from The Jungle Book and "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King. From non-movie sources, check out The Limeliters' 1962 album, "Through Children's Eyes". I was raised on it, so I raised my children on it too. And for non-children's songs, I'm a sucker for "I'm Walkin' on Sunshine" (Katrina & the Waves), "So Happy Together" (The Turtles), and and "All You Need Is Love" (Duh.).

I'm extremely grateful for the good hearing to enjoy all music. Except jazz.

SCG said...

Well, I don't know if this will work for ya, but I really like the messages in Sweet Honey in the Rock, particularly "There Were No Mirrors in My Nana's House" and "We Are". I think those are good ones for adults and kids. And I've really enjoyed listening to Ziggy Marley's "Love is My Religion" both the original and the acoustic version. And *I* like jazz, and the lyrics to some of Ella Fitzgerald's tunes are very upbeat. :-) Happy listening!

Susan