Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the love monk.

Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh [English pronunciation: Tik- N'yat-Hawn] talks - OK, full disclosure, yes, with Oprah via O magazine- about the four mantras he concentrates on during his meditation practice:

The first one is, Darling, I'm here for you. When you love someone, the best you can offer is your presence. You cannot love if you are not there.

The second mantra is Darling, I know you are there and I am so happy. Because you are fully there, you recognize the presence of your beloved as something very precious. To be loved means to be recognized as existing. You embrace your beloved with mindfulness.

The third mantra is what you practice when your beloved one is suffering: Darling, I know you're suffering. That is why I am here for you. Before you do something to help, your presence already can bring some relief.

And the fourth mantra is when you suffer and you believe your suffering has been caused by your beloved. You are hurt, and you want to punish him or her for having made you suffer. The mantra is to overcome that: Darling, I suffer. I am trying my best to understand. Please help me. You go to him or her, and you practice that. In this way, you have expressed your trust. You don't want to punish anymore, and you suffer less right away.


Invaluable love relationship insight from an 83yo virgin. Wow.


image source: buddhachannel

No comments: