Tuesday, February 23, 2010

oh, that Oprah.

And now, this reflection on self-care and being gentle with yourself from the sagely Ms. O, in her February O "What I Know For Sure" column:

"Keeping my word is a mandate I live by. I can't tell you the number of times I've committed to doing something, then later wanted to get out of it but ended up doing it anyway because, for me, backing out is never an option.

And yet at least a hundred times last year, I made a vow to myself about working out, meditating, getting more rest, managing my schedule better, and opening my heart to joy. And each and every time, I fell short.

Without trust, there is no relationship. The same is true for our relationships with ourselves. Break enough promises to yourself, and soon you no longer believe your own voice.

So I've stopped with the all-or-nothing promises to myself. And I'm getting better, each day, at doing something good for my body, mind and spirit.

Making a priority of taking care of myself is - for sure - going to make for a better me. I suspect the same is true for you. And that's the sweetest valentine I can offer."

So, what promises have you been breaking to yourself? What can you do to change it? What are you doing today to be good to your body, mind or spirit? What sweet valentine can you offer yourself every day?


image source: life with lia

No comments: