Thursday, November 27, 2008

get-real gratitudes.


I'm typically unmoved by viral email messages, but this one provided some profound perspective. Bon appetit.

*    *   *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

I am thankful . . .

. . . for the wife who says it's pizza again tonight - because she is home with me and not out with someone else;

. . . for the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato - because he is home with me and not out at the bars;

. . . for the teenager who is complaining about doing dishes - 
because it means she is at home, not out on the streets;

. . . for the taxes I pay - because it means I have a job;

. . . for the clothes that fit a little too snug - because it means I’ve got plenty to eat;

. . . for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing - because it means I have a home;

. . . for my huge power bill - because it means I am warm and safe;

. . . for the perpetual pile of laundry - 
because it means I have clothes to wear;

. . . for the parking spot I find at the farthest point of the parking lot - because it means I have transportation and can walk;

. . . for all the griping around me about the government - because it means we have freedom of speech;

. . . for my own exhaustion and aching body at the close of the day - because it means I’m capable of hard work; and

. . . for the alarm ringing to wake me too early - because it means I am alive.

Wishing you all a Thanksgiving full of abundance, connection and gratitude. :)

No comments: